Sunday, February 21, 2010

Second Life

This was a very interesting activity to participate in. The second life activity was useful to in introducing to me how this activity could be a useful educational tool. This application would appeal to my students who live in the virtual world and who have active imaginations. I have a thirteen-year-old son and when I had him use this application, he really had gotten involved. He even had the opportunity to chat with another student from Indonesia.
Second life is another social networking that would appeal to people, because they can use their creativity skills and second life activity would be good for individuals who are shy or have trouble expressing themselves. Using the second life activity can also be a benefit to improving students reading and writing skills. There are two main problems that I had experienced when participating in the second life activity, one is getting to know the applications and making sure that your microphone works. Before you assign this to student, you really need to become familiar with the virtual locations. It took me a while to get around. I could see students getting frustrated if they do not have time to familiarize themselves with the second life application. The second life activity also can get students off topic, there is so many applications that can lose your attention.
I liked going into the dance club, sitting in the library pulling books and driving the car. I also enjoyed having the group virtual meeting, I think that would help people increase their communication skills. I enjoyed these applications because they made think and forced me to utilize my and technical creativity skills. I did not think that there were many things that were a waste of time, because I was able to pick the activities that were of interest to me.
I would consider using a second life in my curriculum. I would have to get more familiar with the application myself before I showed my other teachers how to use it. I think it would be very beneficial educational tool in the classroom, if it is monitored closely with guided directions.

No comments:

Post a Comment